Costa Rica signed the Convention on 3 December 1997, ratified it on 17 March 1999, with the Convention entering into force for Costa Rica on 1 September 1999.
Obligations under the Convention
Costa Rica does not retain mines for permited purposes under Article 3.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 3 September 2001, Costa Rica indicated that it did not have any stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession.
In its initial transparency report, Costa Rica reported areas under its jurisdiction or control in which anti-personnel mines were known or suspected to be emplaced.
In accordance with Article 5 of the Convention, Costa Rica undertook to destroy or ensure the destruction of all anti-personnel mines in these areas as soon as possible but not later than 1 September 2009.
On 10 December 2002, the President of Costa Rica announced that mine clearance operations had been completed.
On 3 February 2003, at the Meeting of the Standing Committee on Mine Clearance, Costa Rica formally declared that it had fulfilled its obligation under Article 5 of the Convention.
Declaration of Completion
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Each State Party is to take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.
Costa Rica has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
Related news items in PDF
View, download snapshots of Costa Rica during Convention-related activities on Flickr.
Latest Views and Updates
Article 3 and 4
Article 7 Reports
- 2022 Costa Rica Art7Report for2019 202130 April 2022Español
- 2019 Costa Rica Article728 February 2019Español
- 2016 Costa Rica Article723 June 2016Español
- Article7 Costa Rica 201330 April 2013Español
- Art7Report-Costa Rica-2010-sp30 April 2010Español
- 2010 Costa Rica Article726 March 2010Español
- 2005 Costa Rica Article726 April 2005Español
- 2004 Costa Rica Article710 November 2004Español
- 2001 Costa Rica Article7Report Initial30 March 2001Español
- 17MSP 7 General Statements Costa Rica26 November 2018Español
- 16MSP 07 General Statements Costa Rica18 December 2017Español
- 16MSP Conclusions Committee Art5 Zambia Switzerland Chile Costa Rica ar13 October 2017عربى
- 15MSP 10a Costa Rica VA29 November 2016Español
- 15MSP 08 Costa Rica General Statements28 November 2016Español
- IM16 5 Costa Rica Compliance20 May 2016Español