Austria signed the Convention on 3 December 1997, ratified it on 29 June 1998, with the Convention entering into force for Austria on 1 March 1999.
Obligations under the Convention
Notwithstanding the obligation to destroy all stockpiled anti-personnel mines, the Convention permits the retention of the minimum number of anti-personnel mines absolutely necessary for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques.
Austria opted not to retain anti-personnel mines for these permitted purposes.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 29 July 1999, Austria reported that it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines in 1996.
In total, Austria reported having destroyed 116,000 mines.
Austria has not reported any areas under its jurisdiction or control in which anti-personnel mines are known or suspected to be emplaced.
Article 6 of the Convention indicates that “Each State Party in a position to do so shall provide assistance for mine clearance and related activities […], the care and rehabilitation, and social and economic reintegration, of mine victims and for mine awareness programs […], the destruction of stockpiled anti-personnel mines, […] with a view to ensuring the full and prompt implementation of agreed assistance programs.”
In this regard Austria routinely engages in such cooperation and assistance. The latest statement on Article 6 for this State Party can be found on this page.
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Each State Party is to take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.
Austria has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
Presidency of the 16MSP
Austria has twice held the Presidency of the Convention, most recently in 2017. H.E. Thomas Hajnoczi, Ambassador of Austria to the UN in Geneva, who was an active contributor to the development of the Text of the Convention, and execution of the First Meeting of the States Parties, led the work of the States Parties as President of the 16MSP.
Find alll press releases of Austria's 16MSP Presidency here
Presidency of the First Review Conference
Austria first held the Presidency of the Convention in 2004. H.E. H.E. Wolfgang Petritsch of Austria, Ambassador of Austria to the United Nations (Geneva) led the work of the States Parties as President of the Nairobi Summit on a Mine-Free World.
Press Release | Nairobi Summit President joins call to assist landmine survivors. Find other press releases from Austria's Presidency of the Nairobi Summit here.
Related news in PDF
- 2017 Press Release 16MSP Conclusions21 December 2017English
- 2017 Comunicado Convencion Conmemora 20 Anos8 June 2017Español
- 2017 Press Release 20Years Landmine Ban8 June 2017English
- 2017 Communique Convention commemore 20ans d interdiction8 June 2017Français
- 2017 Communique President condamne utilisation des mines au Yemen24 April 2017Français
- 2017 Comunicado Presidente Convencion Condena Uso de minas Yemen24 April 2017Español
- 2017 Comunicado Belarus libre de minas7 April 2017Español
- 2017 Press Release Belarus Free of Stockpiles5 April 2017English
- 2017 Comunicado Convencion Celebra18Anos Entrada Vigor1 March 2017Español
Latest related news
View, download photos and/or videos of Austria during Convention-related activities on Flickr.
Latest Views and Updates
Article 3 and 4
Article 7 Reports
- 2023 Austria Art7Report for 202119 January 2023English
- 2021 Austria Article7Report21 April 2021English
- 2020 Austria Article7Report29 April 2020English
- 2019 Austria Article7Report24 April 2019English
- 2018 Austria Article7Report24 April 2018English
- 2017 Austria Article7Report19 April 2017English
- 2016 Austria Art7Report20 April 2016English
- Art 7 Austria 201530 April 2015English
- Article7-Austria-201430 April 2014English
- Article7 Austria 201330 April 2013English
- 18MSP 7 General Statements Austria16 November 2020English
- 17MSP 10 UN Assessed Contributions Austria30 November 2018English
- 16MSP Conclusions Committee Cooperative Compliance Austria Iraq Peru Sweden United Kingdom en18 December 2017English
- 16MSP 01 High Level Opening Austria18 December 2017English
- 16MSP Invitation 20years Panel1 December 2017English
- IM17 07d Budgetary Concerns Austria9 June 2017English
- IM17 05 Committee Compliance9 June 2017English
- IM17 Observations President Art48 June 2017English
- 2PC Austria Vice Minister For Aff28 February 2017English
- 15MSP 15 Austria Presidency1 December 2016English
- 15MSP 10i Austria UN Assessed Contributions30 November 2016English
- 14MSP-2a-UNIVERSALIZATION Austria-201530 November 2015English
- 2007 Mid Term Review of Status of VA Implementation21 November 2007English
- Landmine Survivors: A Decade of Efforts (2007)12 February 2007English